Three children die in Brittliffe Close Singleton house fire, crews remain at the scene

THREE children have died and several family members rushed to hospital after a home went up in flames in Singleton, in the Hunter Valley, overnight.

Emergency services received numerous triple-0 calls to the property on Brittliffe Close about 3.30am Wednesday.

On arrival at the scene crews found the house well alight and support vehicles were called in to help.

The roof of the home had collapsed in the blaze and several people were trapped inside.

TRAGEDY: The aftermath of the Singleton fire. Picture: Marina Neil

TRAGEDY: The aftermath of the Singleton fire. Picture: Marina Neil

Crews managed to rescue many of the family members who were rushed to Singleton District Hospital in a critical condition.

A 31-year-old woman and an eight-year-old boy were treated by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation, before being taken to hospital. Both remain in a stable condition. The female and mother of the family suffered burns to her back and forehead.

There were grave concerns for one child, with crews searching for the missing boy for some time. In tragic news, the child was found deceased inside the property.

Police have since confirmed that two girls, whose ages are yet to be confirmed, were taken to Singleton Hospital but were pronounced dead as a result of their injuries.

Shandelle Reid, 27, a nearby resident, was awoken by a torch at one one of her windows during the night.

She said by that stage, the street was lined with emergency service workers and neighbours.

"I was woken up because I heard yelling and screaming," she said.

RESIDENT: Shandelle Reid, pictured, was awoken by a torch at one one of her windows during the night.

RESIDENT: Shandelle Reid, pictured, was awoken by a torch at one one of her windows during the night.

"There was the fire brigade, the police - who were actually directing people away from the live wire that was hanging from the power line.

"There was heaps of people, the whole area was crowded."

Ms Reid said the flames were "skyrocketing out of the roof" and there was a big "bang, a big explosion" when part of the house collapsed.

She said neighbours had attempted to help during the fire.

"This lady, she went into help. She said she pulled one of the kids through the back window," she said.

"But the frame collapsed in and she said she couldn't get in there to get the other kids.

"But she said she kept hearing them screaming."

Ms Reid described the neighbours who assisted "pretty brave, to run into a burning house".

Emergency services are expected to remain on scene for some time.

Police have commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire.

When it is deemed safe to do so, police and fire investigators will examine the home to identify where and how the fire started.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner outlining the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

While the Singleton community remains in shock from the early-morning news, messages of support for first responders are already pouring in from Fire and Rescue units across the Hunter Region.

"As firefighters, its a reality that can turn into a nightmare," a statement from Fire and Rescue NSW Station 344 Kearsley said.

"Responding to a fire and having persons reported as missing or still inside. We stand strong beside our mates at 444 and all responding crews knowing that this incident is having a huge impact on them all."

The Abermain crew said "feelings are high for the guys at 444, tough few weeks".